ALERT!!! Online Public File Required of ALL STATIONS, March 1 2018
In 2016, the FCC adopted a rule requiring all broadcasters to provide online access to their public file. This online file will include everything contained in the paper file EXCEPT letters from the public which are specifically exempted. Commercial stations in the top 50 markets were required to comply by 2016. Non-commercial stations and any remaining smaller commercial stations were given an additional two years to comply. On March 1, 2018, the entire public file as required by FCC (47 C.F.R. 73.3527) must be available online for ALL stations except LPFMs. So the time to begin scanning, uploading and organizing these files is now. Here are a few specific things to note about what is included:
- Current FCC authorization to construct or operate
- Applications and Related Materials
- Contour Maps
- Ownership Reports
- EEO (Equal Employment Opportunity) File
- Issue and Program reports going back to the last date of license for the station and maintained continually until the next date of license.
- Names of donors who underwrite specific programming
- Local public notice announcements bout License Renewal
- Any NEW political file information (if one exists) from March, 1, 2018 and going-forward.
- Any other information required in your file such as time brokerage agreements, joint sales agreements, investigations or complaints.
- Content already online through CDBS does NOT need to be included but you may wish to link to that information on your page.
- SPECIAL REMINDER: This online file requirement does NOT apply to LPFMs.